Friday 20 October 2017

For the Boys

For the Boys


Hallo Everyone!

All ready for half-term?
It does vary throughout the
country - however, in this
little corner of our green 
and pleasant land the
holiday starts after school
today - Yayyy!!!

Here's an idea from
Jane Castle to enjoy if
the weather causes everyone
to be housebound - or even
if the weather is good .......

"Hi everyone, thank you for stopping by. 
Today it's my turn to make a 'gift for the boys' 
and I began with an inexpensive 
wooden box, available from The Craft Barn,
 some paint, Seth Apter stamps
 and a few other bits.

 The finished box I'm thrilled with but 
there were times when I wasn't so sure!


I started by giving the inside a coat of 
Fresco Chalk paint in Mushroom, 
then when fully dry cut some dark red 
felt and lined the base and lid.


Then I painted the outside in Space Cadet


The 4 sides were then painted with a 
crackle medium and then once dry 
given a coat of the mushroom paint. 


The edges of the lid were lightly sanded
in places

I then applied some grunge paste through
 a stencil to the top of the lid.


When the paste was dry I made a wash
 of 1 part mushroom, 1 part space cadet 
and 1 part water to go over the top of the lid.

Whilst this was drying I stamped my image 
for the top and the opening part of the lid. 
For this I used Archival Watering Can and
 one of Seth Apter's new set of stamps ESA05
 and stamped onto a sheet of waxed
 tissue paper.


Once the ink was dry I brushed some water
 around the stamped image and tore the
 paper as this helps when appyling the tissue 
paper to the box.

I also stamped an edging to go around 
the base of the box using 2 of the stamps
 from the same set. 
(Great set of stamps--- so versatile)


These were then added to the box using
 a matt glaze but could also be attached
 with a collage medium.

I left these over night to allow them to 
fully dry before cutting through 
the tissue with a craft knife to 
allow the lid to open.


At this point I wasn't completely happy
 with the image on the top. I sat gazing at this 
for some time thinking of various options, 
one being to skim over the top with a thin layer
 of Grunge Paste and start again!

I added the border around the bottom of 
the box whilst I made my decission. 
I knew I still wanted to use the same stamp 
for the lid so I thought I'd try stamping 
another image but using Potting Soil ink
 this time.


When tearing the tissue paper this time 
I made sure it was smaller than the 
original one on the box.

I made a hole in the side of the lid to 
thread my string through and added some 
mushroom and space cadet paint to 
2 screw head brads.


Treasure Gold wax in Olive Bronze was added 
to the edges and now I not only like 
the finished pencil box -  
I don't want to part with it!


I plan to give it to a chap I work with 
who comes from an arty family, 
he makes wonderful things from metal
 and wood. 
He does some sketches of his ideas first
 but can never find his drawing pencils 
or charcoal.



So thought I would buy him some lead and charcoal 
pencils and pop them inside for his birthday.


Might have to make one for myself too!!"

Items Used

PaperArtsy Rubber Stamps
PaperArtsy Stencil

That is a super pencil box
Jane, Thank you.  Your
colleague will be a
happy chappie to receive
this - not so sure I would
put charcoal in it though
.....I know you said pencils
but I am lethal with charcoal
in any form..........!

Now a word to the wise Everyone
I know the Design Team all
chose to use this new set:


This new set is also available:



Indeed it might be worth checking
out all the Seth Apter stamp sets

"Till tomorrow

Mickie xx









2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, you can't help but love these stamps and your box.....love that too. Great gift idea. Happy creative weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful finish Jane! These stamps are perfect for men gifts and for anything Vintage too!

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.