Friday 2 June 2017

Fabricated

Fabricated



Hi Everyone!

Hope everything is on
track for you - all going
smoothly here

In fact, I am even contemplating
digging out the sewing machine
Shall reserve this exercise for a
rainy day - hope I can still 
remember how to thread it.....
.........it's been a while.....

Craftyfield is joining us today
with a rather nice tutorial using
the lovely Starlight Textile Paints


"When I received the new Starlight Textile
 paints and a lenght of calico from 
the Craft Barn I settled down to test 
my new materials.

 In this first piece, I applied a mix of Starlight 
with a slightly wet sponge. 

I noticed that the darker Starlights were 
not as shiny as the Pearl but I 
guess it's necessary to give a good depth 
of colour.  Also, by using a sponge, 
I only applied a thin layer and the metal flakes
 in the paint are spread over a larger area 
for a more discreet look




In my second experiment, I wanted to combine 
the textile Starlights and So soft paints for a
 contrast between the shiny paints and
 traditional colours. 

I used the Gelli plate to layer the stencilled 
So soft paint in Dark burgundy and 
the Starlight in Petroleum which I applied 
all over the Gelli plate (over the already 
stencilled paint). 

The technique worked well enough but the 
paint was drying too quickly for a decent print on fabric. 
The distressed look is interesting but not for 
today's project however...


 I like my makes to be useful and my cushion 
covers badly needed a replacement 
so this is what I decided to make. 

I have no sewing skills so I try to simplify 
and use shortcuts at every opportunity. 

I worked out my cushion design to include 
a velcro closure as the easiest one to sew, 
although I'd have plumped for snaps closures
 if I'd had the tool to set them!

I thought I'd better make up the cushion first 
before decorating to make sure the art was centered.


The velcro closure.
I haven't decorated the back, 
although this could happen in the future... 
I'd love to try the new textile sprays 
with stencils next!


I placed the stencil and used masking tape 
all around to stick it down firmly.

 A pad of scrapbook papers is ensuring the 
fabric is held taut and prevents the paint from 
oozing to the back


I created an ombre look from the center out
 adding Pearl incrementally to the Petroleum 
with a palette knife. 

Unlike my previous tests the paint is a 
lot thicker which gives a lot more shine 
as well as a 3D look.


See how the ombre gradation emphasises the
 impression of a rotating wheel. 
In fact, my other half can't bear to look at it!



For a bonus project, do come by to my blog 
to see what I did with one of my test pieces !"

Supplies:
here's one already sewn up for you
or pick from a selection of fabric bags here

Super tutorial Craftyfield
I have to agree with your
other half - that stencil is
quite mesmerising just
looking at it on screen
..........!  What a fabulous
effect that is - thank you


I can see I shall have to invest
in that stencil...........

'Till tomorrow

Mickie xx










1 comment:

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.